LanGeekLanGeek Dictionary

Claude glass

British pronunciation/klˈɔːd ɡlˈas/
American pronunciation/klˈɔːd ɡlˈæs/
Claude glass

a darkened and filtered pane of glass that was used by landscape painters in the 17th and 18th centuries

Add to leitnerwordlist
Add to your word listwordlist
1Looking through either a Claude Glass, the surface of one of Lauren Zoll's paintings, or the off screen of your phone all frame and shape the world around you in a specific and sometimes revelatory way.
2It became known as a Claude Glass, named after 17th century artist, Claude Lorrain, whose then popular landscape paintings display a similarly subtle gradation of tones.
318th century writer William Gilpin thought the Claude Glass should be used to better appreciate the picturesque, which he described as that peculiar kind of beauty which is agreeable in a picture.
Copyright © 2020 Langeek Inc. | All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy